Friday 30 August 2013

Butternut squash, pea and butterbean thai green curry

Thai green curry made from the fridge and store cupboard you say? Really? Yes, really. You don’t need to go out and buy everything fresh, well maybe the coriander and green chillies, if unlike me they are not a staple in your household. For me, I was using up the ingredients I had in the fridge and store cupboard and therefore opted for a fresh and crisp Thai green curry. You can find the recipe for the curry paste here.

What you will need
500g butternut squash
1 onion
1 tin of butterbeans
2 handfuls of green peas
1 tin of coconut milk
2-3 tea spoons of green curry paste (or 3/4 of the above recipe)

This is such a satisfying and balanced dish. It encompasses the balance of flavours that Thai food aims to achieve which includes the sour, sweet, salty and bitter tastes.



Firstly peel and cube the butternut squash and slice the onions. In a little bit of oil, fry off the onion and squash for about 5 minutes before adding in the Thai green curry paste and cooking off for another minute or two. Watch out for those chilli fumes!

Next add the tin of coconut milk and the same amount of water (fill the tin and empty it into the pan). Season the pan with a little bit of salt and add the tin of drained butterbeans and the peas. Simmer the curry for another 25-35 minutes until the sauce has reduced (top up with water if it reduces too much). Serve once the butternut squash has softened and cooked through, making sure it still maintains its shape.



Serve with noodles or rice. I have yet to post about the delicious Malaysian lace bread, but hope to soon. I'm so looking forward to Borneo in two months time.

To date, Bali has been my spiritual home and I think Borneo also offers me the same. I have loved Thailand, and I hope in two months time, to bring all three together on this page through my culinary insights.


No comments:

Post a Comment