Saturday 17 August 2013

Beetroot, feta and walnut cabbage parcels

Cabbage, cabbage and more cabbage. I don't have a vegetable box delivered. Living in London, I'm unsure of the feasibility of drop off, without being stolen etc whilst we're at work. However, I have still got cabbages coming out of my ears. Although, I have chosen to buy these myself and they do go a long way. So having already cremed them and had them in pasta in wine sauce, I decided to stuff them for variety. However, I didn't just want to do a rice and (veggie) mince mix in a tomato sauce. I have therefore gone rogue with some beetroot and star anise.

What you will need
1 vac-pack of beetroot
4 garlic cloves, chopped
75g (3oz) feta cheese
1/2 a tea spoon of paprika

8 large green cabbage leaves
100g green lentils
175ml vegetable stock

125ml white wine
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
1 tea spoon fennel seeds
Handful of walnuts
Chives
Thyme


Fistly steam the cabbage leaves until cooked.

Place the green lentils in a pan with the white wine, vegetable stock, garlic and bay. Grind the star anise and fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar and add the pan with the paprika and salt and pepper. Bring the lentils to a boil then simmer on a medium heat for about 15 minutes until the stock has evaporate and the lentils are cooked, but firm. You may need to top up the water. Sprinkle over the chopped chives and sprigs of thyme.

Quarter the beetroot and then proceed with filling each of the cabbage leaves.

Lay the leaves out straight. Put two quarters of beetroot in each, with some crumbled feta cheese and the 2 tables spoons of the lentil mix, plus a couple of walnuts in each leaf.



 
Fold the leaves up like a parcel and place them on a plate ready for cooking. I like to cook these like the 'potsticker' dumplings. Add some oil to a frying pan and add the the cabbage parcels. Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, before adding a bit of water to the pan to steam the rest for another couple of minutes. They should be nice and crisp on the bottom, with the inside heated through via steaming.




Reduce 3-4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to create a drizzle. Pour over the top of the parcels.

Gipsy spread of course, had his with some pork steaks due to the star anise fragrance, the sweetness of the beetroot and the saltiness of the feta. All perfect partners.

I am also presently very excited about my Sunday. Gipsy Spread has got us VIP tickets to the Foodies Festival (http://foodiesfestival.com/) in Battersea Park. I absolutely expect to be hob-nobbing with Masterchef winners whilst drinking champagne in the VIP tent. Watch this space for my thoughts on the festival and the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment