Wednesday 7 August 2013

A cheat's tart

It was a school night and we were at the bottom of the fridge. I was so far at the bottom, that I ended up in the freezer. I spotted and took out the ready rolled puff pastry from the freezer along with a round of camembert. What to have for dinner?

Well, I had three key ingredients, so the chilli and strawbery camembert tart was born. This is so easy and a bit of a cheat; however, not even the best chefs make their own pastry anymore.

What you will need
1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry
1 round of camembert
Strawberry chilli jam (or strawberry jam and some chilli flakes)

No fussing with the pastry, just flatten it out, leaving it on it's grease proof backing. Score lightly around the edges, about 1cm in. Spread the area inside the score with the jam lightly. I used the back of a tea spoon.

The cornish chilli jam I used is below. I get given a lot of chilli themed food produce.

 
Next, slice a good sized round of camembert and arrange in neat rows across the top of the jam.

I layered over large sprigs of chives and baked in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes until the pastry had browned and risen. Make sure you don't have a soggy bottom before serving!

 
 
We had this tart with a salad and some new potatoes tossed in butter and with fresh mint.
 
Of course, any base and cheese can be used. Another favourite is olive tapenade topped with crumbled feta. Again, watch this space.

So, three ingredients, ten minutes and a truly satisfying dinner (plus some left over lunches). For a bit more of the same check out my 10 minute dinners.

I'm excited because we're having one of my favourite dinners tonight, Bill's beans, see the link above.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment