Monday 12 January 2015

The Sparrowhawk, Crystal Palace, London

Not content with all the Christmas Eating and drinking and essentially at a loss for what to do on New Year’s Eve Eve, we headed to one of our many locals the Sparrowhawk for a libation and lunch.
 
 
We had booked ahead as the pub is usually teeming with diners. We took our seat, ordered a drink and perused the 7 at £7 lunch menu whilst we were waiting for the a la carte. It turned out in the end, that the 7 at £7 dishes were so enticing that we did not need to the other menu.
 
 
I decided to have the wild mushroom and truffle oil linguine whilst Gipsy Spread (who was hankering after chips) opted for the chicken and chips. We were both delighted with our lunches. It has been some time since we dined at the Sparrowhawk as I think I had been slightly disappointed on my previous visit; perhaps only because with a pub on each corner of the Crystal Palace triangle, the Sparrowhawk is the pricier option and I therefore expect more from it.
 
 
As if then by magic, the Sparrowhawk appeared on groupon for 2 courses at the price of one with a glass of wine. I think this was an introductory offer for those unacquainted with it, however, I took it as opportunity to return for the full menu.
 
 
We arrived and were seated at the same little corner table, which I like as I can keep one eye on Gipsy Spread and one eye on the passers by outside going about their business. The service as before was prompt and when we told them we had a groupon, we were pleasantly surprised that it meant that short of a supplement for the steak, we could order anything from the seasonal menu.
 
 
I wanted to be seasonal as the menu was, so I chose the jerusalum artichoke soup with truffle oil whilst Gipsy Spread had the special of crab fritters with aioli. My soup was rich, earthy and creamy, with the onion bread and butter. A suitably hearty and nourishing winter starter. Gipsy Spread’s dishes looked delightful and he thoroughly enjoyed his fresh crab starter, which was not scrimped on.


 
It was clearly a fish day for Gipsy Spread (perhaps after all the steak, gammon and turkey over Christmas) as he selected the sea bass for his main course with a potato rosti and salsa. Normally at £15.50 a dish, this groupon deal was really good value. The fish was cooked perfectly and even though he didn’t eat it, the skin was suitably crisp.
 
 
My main was massive. I normally have a starter followed by a starter portion for main, so I was assaulted by the size of my main of gnocchi with wild mushrooms and spinach in a cream sauce. This is not to say the size was undesirable, but rather that it did defeat me in the one sitting. The good news is that I sampled the delicious creamy and rich dish twice more over lunch at work as I was able to take it away.
 
 
So, for me, we had two excellent dining experiences at the Sparrowhawk over as many weeks. The recent groupon offer is great value for the uninitiated and of course, the pub is also a fantastic venue without the offer. It is a local stalwart, having arrived at Crystal Palace not long after we did. Keep up the good work The Sparrowhawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment