Thursday 29 August 2013

Olive tapenade

I decided to knock up my olive tapenade as I wanted to use it in my soca pancake for a work lunch. It is so easy to blitz if you have a food processor, but can also be really satisfying and soothing if chopping by hand.

Tapenade is a really versatile and beautiful dip or accompaniment to many things. It was over 10 years ago, amongst the rolling hills of Santorini in Greece where I was eating this on a daily basis. It was served at lunch in a crusty baguette with salty, crumbly greek feta cheese and in the evenings, as a pairing to tzatziki; a condiment to the bread basket before dinner was served.

I have since made my own and realised that some of what I had in Santorini might well have had anchovies in - mine of course doesn't. This is the kind of holiday experience that I choose not to dwell on as I don't want it to ruin my food memory. These things do tend to happen to vegetarians. Don't get me started on Egypt circa 1998.

What you will need

200g good quality pitted green olives
1 table spoon capers
2 garlic cloves
2 table spoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tea spoon lemon juice

Put the whole lot into a blender. My trusty (red) Magimix was on hand to help me. Be careful though as you want to retain some texture, so pulse the ingredients slowly until they are combined, but there is still some texture. Add plenty of black pepper.
Alternatively chop the olives, capers and garlic, haphazardly, but finely. Mix through the olive oil and lemon juice, then season with plenty of black pepper.

Use immediately or store in the fridge for a few days until ready to serve. If you want to keep it for a bit longer, just top it up with a little bit more olive oil.
It can also be made just with black olives or even a mix of both.

I'll be enjoying this in my work lunch tomorrow accompanied by feta in a chickpea pancake, accompanied by a beetroot and onion salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment