Monday 19 August 2013

Courgette and cheddar fritters

I’m usually writing about being at the bottom of my fridge before the food shop comes, however today I am at the start of this cycle. The shop arrived yesterday and now I have to make sure all the fresh ingredients are eaten first to stop them going off and being wasted. I was delivered some particularly large courgettes(take a look below) and so decided to focus on these for dinner tonight. I like a nice fritter and this one again, incorporates my favorite combination of vegetables with cheese. This is so simple for a school night dinner. Having been to the Foodies Festival in Battersea yesterday, I don’t know why there weren’t more fritters on offer?


What you will need
1 large / 2 medium courgette
1 onion grated
3-4 tbsp gram flour
50g grated cheddar
1 slice of bread (for bread crumbs)
Lemon thyme
Paprika

Grate the courgette into a bowl and add the either grated or finely chopped onion and the grated cheddar. My giant gourd helped me build up some arm muscles. Blitz the slice of bread in a food processor to create breadcrumbs. Stir the gram flour and breadcrumbs into the courgette mix, with the lemon thyme and paprika and plenty of salt and pepper. The moisture from the courgettes will help bind the ingredients together. If the batter seems to think or runny, add a bit more gram flour.

Place one table spoon of oil into a frying pan until hot and then dollop in the courgette mix to create rounds. You should get 8-10 out of the mix.

 

I served these with some lettuce, a very easy garlic yoghurt dip (plain yoghurt with chopped fresh garlic and chopped chives) and a simple tomato salsa (quartered cherry tomatoes, fresh mint and chopped jalapenos).

The fritter can be stuffed inside pita bread with the lettuce, salsa and yoghurt dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment