Sunday 22 September 2013

Chez Hugo, Seillans

I had done my research and decided on a birthday lunch venue for Gipsy Spread in the tiny Town of Seillans in which we were staying along the Cote d'Azur. Unfortunately we couldn't eat here on his actual birthday as they are closed on Mondays (very French, deciding own opening hours). We all trotted along then with high expectations on the Tuesday. I had also emailed ahead to ensure that there would be a vegetarian option for me; a necessary pre-requisite in France, although the availability of a vegetarian option has improved in the last 10 years.


The restaurant menu is decided based on the ingredients found in the market. This means they are fresh, local and seasonal. The best of the mediteranean. The menu is therefore decided daily and written on a board for diners to choose from. When I asked what the vegetarian option was, I was offered a plate of assorted vegetables cooked in different ways. I'm sure this would have been excellent, but I could not picture it. I therefore opted for a mains portion of the 'salade panache de tomates du pottager au basilic'. This was very large when it arrived, but light with intense tomato flavours. It also came with some sort of cream (fromage blanc?) which was the perfect accompaniment. I might go so far as to say the best tomato salad I have ever had.

Gipsy Spread's birthday meal was majorly carnivorous. Of course he opted for the 'filet de boeuf'. "When in France...". Mother, Sister and brother in law Spread all opted for the 'Sole Meuniere'.



Yes, it was lunchtime, but there's always room for dessert, and y'know, I had only had a salad. The other consideration was that the classic french dessert of 'ile flottante' was on offer. So clever these French, using the egg whites for the 'ile' and the egg yolks for what it is that it is 'flottante' on.

So, ile flottante it was for me. It came out and was huge. Much larger than any other I have come across. The meringue of the 'ile' is usually a much smaller quinelle. Gipsy Spread's cousin who now lives near Marseilles also stated that he thought it was the best ile flottante he has ever had. A ringing endorsement.

Others in the party opted for the pannacota with a raspberry coulis and the moelleux au chocolat; which always reminds me of Greg Wallis saying "the road to Masterchef is lined with failed chocolate fondants". This would have passed the Masterchef challenge. Rich dark chocolate with a hot, soft, molten gooey centre.



Chez Hugo was very bijous inside, but had more than enough space at lunch time for it's customers. There was also plenty of outdoor seating. Stefan, one of the owners speaks very good English, even though the majority of us spoke French and was excellent at translating the menu for us. The food was of very high quality, fresh and seasonal from the market. This restaurant is definitely worth a visit when in and around Seillans.

No comments:

Post a Comment