Wednesday 31 July 2013

Cyder...not cidre!


This post isn’t about food, but rather drink. I sampled my first (I think) champagne cyder this weekend. I also learnt that you can spell cider as cyder, as well as, of course, cidre.


We were in the country at the weekend, basking in the sunshine. We went for a wonder around the Petersfield farmers market. After which, we fancied a refreshing beverage in an outdoor space. We headed to the Old Drum (
http://www.theolddrum.co.uk/) in Town. As soon as I entered, I was confronted by the following sign.

  
That was it. I had to have one. "One Gospel Green Champagne Sussex Cyder please bar-keep".


My first experience of a champagne cyder was marvellous. This wasn’t the tooth bracing sweet experience of some (usually poorer quality) ciders, but rather a subtle apple fragrance with a very crisp and dry finish. It had wonderfully tiny bubbles, reminiscent of champagne and a delicate hue of, was it elderflower?




Anyway, I would highly recommend getting your hands on some. It is local fare, originating from Sussex, however I will try and source it in London, or perhaps just stock up when I’m in the Counties.


This is cyder... not cidre!


I also plan on popping back in next time to sample the English tapas. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment