Monday 8 July 2013

Here's mud in your eye

Well, a two week heat wave. So I should have clearly been cooking and eating the foods of the hot countries; India, Mexico, Spain, Italy and Turkey, where the ingredients and spices are designed to cool and refresh.


But no, we were in the Home Counties at the weekend and I popped into the Holy Cow in Petersfield to pick up Mother in Law Spread’s seeded loaf and spotted my favourite pies. I have previously made the special trip to Midhurst to pick up the delicious ‘Mud’ pies, but no more, thanks to the Holy Cow. A Holy Cow indeed!


So, it was 27 degrees outside. We’d driven home in the sauna of a car; we had a bottle of fizzy pink prosecco on ice (to toast Murray of course) and I put the pies in the oven to heat through for dinner.


Mine was the deliciously earthy and rich wild mushroom and asparagus pie, with the beautifully short, but naughty crust. Gipsy Spread had a lamb and rosemary pie with the same all encompassing buttery crust.



I expect these Mud pies will find their way to London from Hampshire, but I would most probably rather they didn’t – you know, so I’m not eating a proper pie as frequently. When I make my own, it’s usually with just a pie crust top. Although, my point is that these deliciously organic, homemade type pies are a joy and if I’m going to eat a pie, I do want it to be really good.


So thanks Mud for making my Sunday even better, but I am definitely in need of a run this week, with this hot weather meaning I need to peel off the layers.

You can see where they are sold via their website http://www.mudfoods.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment