Sunday 14 July 2013

Rhubarb crumble

I had been visiting mother in law Spread the other weekend and as one often does in the countryside, I happened upon some fresh rhubarb for sale. I couldn't help myself but buy some. I didn't want to over complicate this very earthy and honest fruit. I therefore made the good old english classic dessert of rhubarb crumble.

What you will need
4 sticks of rhubarb
2 tablespoons of castor sugar
50g brown sugar
50g butter
100g flour

Cream, custard or ice cream to serve

This is really a small portion for two, I don't think we eat dessert because we are hungry, but rather that we want a taste and I therefore always err on the side of smaller portions for dessert. If you are cooking for four, just double the ingredients.

Cut the rhubarb into 1-1.5cm pieces. Add these to a non stick pan with a couple of table spoons of water and two table spoons of castor sugar. Cook the rhubarb until it has soften for about 5-10 minutes on a low-medium heat.

Transfer the rhubarb to an oven dish.

Make the crumble by blending the butter, flour and brown sugar together between your fingers and thumbs. They should look like bread crumbs.

Spread the crumble over the rhubarb and then bake in the oven at 210 degree for 20 minutes until the crumble has browned. I served this with fresh double cream.




It reminded me of one of the best ice creams I have eaten in this Country. It was a rhubarb crumble ice cream we purchased from a street seller in a small Cotswold's village. It seemed to be a family affair, with mum, dad and two children in attendance.  The rhubarb was fruity and tart in the ice cream and the crumble crisp and crunchy. I would love to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment