Thursday 11 July 2013

We'll always be together in electric dreams...

Feeling a little bit tender today after the awesome Human League gig. It was the way I think all gigs should now happen; in Kew Gardens with a blanket, picnic and your own wine, as well as a group of your best chums. A little bit gutted that Blondie had also been on earlier in the month and I’d missed it. Oh well, next time.


So I didn’t really want to mess around and spend ages on dinner tonight. I knew I had some vac packed beetroot in the fridge and some feta and therefore decided to stuff one inside the other and be done with it. Gipsy Spread is currently rolling in meat because of the recent big shop, so he was able to simply place the Waitrose lemon and pepper chicken in the oven to have with it.


What you will need
1 packet of vac packed beetroot (knock yourself out if you do want to cook the fresh stuff)
Lettuce (any will do, I often like spinach leaves)
Feta
Pine nuts
Lemon thyme
Cherry tomatoes
2 slices of bread
Olive oil
Chilli flakes
1 clove garlic

Chicken optional

I sliced my beetroot in half and used a tiny teaspoon to scoop a ball shaped piece of beetroot flesh out of the centre. I stuffed this full of feta.

I stood these up in an oven dish – if you really want them to stand up, you can take a thin slice off the bottom to give you a flat surface. I sprinkled over the lemon thyme, salt and black pepper, as well as a tiny drizzle of oil and a handful of pine nuts and placed in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.

At the same time I made some croutons with the now going stale ‘holy cow’ sourdough bread. I sliced the bread to be 1 cm thick, removed the crusts and cubed. I chopped the garlic and added it to a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of chilli flakes. I tossed the cubes of bread around in the oil until they were brown and toasted.



I served the warm beetroot on some leaves with the croutons, some cherry tomatoes and just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Gipsy Spread, of course had chicken with his.



No comments:

Post a Comment