Saturday 7 December 2013

Roast butternut squash and chimichurri tacos

I still had corn tortillas left as I had frozen the many packs the guy at Borough market handed for £3. I don't know how much he sells them for normally, but £3 for 2 packets of small tortillas and one medium packet seemed alright to me?

Also, my friend had just parted company with a girl who doesn't like heat/chilli/spice, so I chose to spice up his life with a Mexican feast, which included tacos with the butternut squash taking centre stage. My favourite way to cook squash is also via roasting as it really caramelises and brings the sweetness out, which works fantastically with salty feta cheese. I have then topped it all off with a herby chilli chimichurri sauce.


What you will need
300g butternut squash (diced and peeled)
1 onion
2 tea spoons ground cumin
2 tea spoons paprika
1/2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
80g feta cheese
Chimichurri sauce
8 corn tortillas



Peel the butternut squash and cube. Thickly slice the onions and mix with the squash. And a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle over some salt and add the cumin, paprika and ground cinnamon. Mix together. I am not adding any chilli or garlic to the squash as there is plenty in the chimichurri.


Next, roast in a preheated oven at 220 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the squash is caramelised and soft. 


Heat the corn tacos as per instructions and top with the squash and onion mix, a tea spoon of the chimichurri and some crumbled feta cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment