Monday 9 December 2013

Leek, pepper and feta souffle omelette

Ok, this might not sound like a simple dinner as it has the word 'souffle' in it, but it is. In fact, souffles aren't always really that difficult and they are truly delicious. Gipsy Spread makes a fantastic cheese souffle.


Anyway, I digress. I had lots of fresh vegetables and some eggs in the fridge and I didn't just want a simple omelette as this is usually something I have at the weekends. I wanted a dish with a bit more... oomph. However, I only had 3 eggs. So, I decided to cook my vegetables and seperate my eggs and by putting in an extra few minutes into whisking the egg whites seperately from the yolks, a fantastic and hearty dinner was born.


What you will need
1 red pepper
1 large leek
I onion
4 large eggs
2-4 green chillies
1 heaped tea spoon (flavoured) mustard
50g feta cheese
25g parmesan cheese
Fresh lemon thyme
Fresh parsley


Firstly slice the peppers, leeks and onion, add to a frying pan with some salt and saute until soft in a table spoon of oil for 5-10 minutes. Add the chopped chillies towards the end.


Next, seperate the eggs into whites and yolks. Whisk the egg whites until light and fluffy, this takes about 3-4 minutes by hand. You are not making a meringue, so they need to quadruple in size and fill with air, but not stiffen.


Mix the mustard into the egg yolks (I used a spicy hot garlic mustard with chillis for extra flavour) and grate in the parmesan.


When ready to cook, mix together the egg white and yolk mix, adding the fresh herbs. Add the mix to the hot pan holding all the vegetables and top with the crumbled feta cheese. 


Cook on the hob on a medium heat for 5 minutes, then place under a preheated grill to brown the top of the omelette.


Slice and serve hot with a nice fresh salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment