Tuesday 17 December 2013

Asparagus salad with poached egg and parmesan

I really shouldn’t have, but I did. I picked up some reduced asparagus in the supermarket yesterday. It came from Peru. We all know that the best time to eat asparagus is in season and that British asparagus is the best. Some of the best asparagus dishes I have had on my birthday in the month of May when staying at Country pubs and boutique hotels. I was once told my asparagus at dinner was picked that morning from the farm one mile down the road and it was delicious.
 
So, whilst I do hang my head in shame at this distasteful disregard for seasonal vegetables, I reiterate my desire for simple, healthy and hearty food into the run up to the Christmas richness. So, this is a summer time dish, which I am having as a winter warmer tonight. Such simple ingredients do not sing in such great harmony as they do in this dish.
 
 
What you will need
300g asparagus
4 eggs
Watercress/rocket and spinach leaves
Parmesan
 
Dressing
1 table spoon fresh lemon juice
3 table spoons olive oil
1 tea spoon English mustard
Fresh lemon thyme
 
 
Firstly, prepare the asparagus. Snap off the hard end where it naturally gives. Place the asparagus on to steam for 5 minutes or until cooked, but still firm.
 
 
Whilst the asparagus is cooking, mix together the dressing ingredients with some salt and pepper and set aside.
 
 
Next, put the water on to boil for the poached eggs. Add a splash of white wine vinegar and bring to the boil. When boiled, turn the heat down and crack in two fresh eggs. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the eggs come way from the bottom of the pan. Drain with a slotted spoon on kitchen roll. Repeat for the other two eggs.
 
 
Dress each plate with the salad leaves and top with the asparagus, then the poached eggs. Finally, drizzle over the dressing.
 

 
Shave over the parmesan with some freshly ground pepper and serve immediately, with some crusty bread if desired.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment