Sunday 23 March 2014

The Real Greek

The team and I are working our way around the local eateries of Borough and the Southbank. It was the turn of The Real Greek this month for their individual three tiered stand of delicious mezze. We arrived, hoping very much not to have a repeat of the fiasco from the Albion, where the junior chef had brought up the fish that was being salted for the following week, which was then battered and fried (twice) and sent back (twice!) by colleagues.


It was a Wednesday and I had booked a table, however, the restaurantis so large that we could have quite easily arrived and secured a table for six, quite a feat along the Southbank. The lunch menu at £8.95 seemed like fantastic value and everyone around the table opted for either the three part mezze or the individual kebab skewers with a variety of mezze sides.

 
We started with some olives to share which were marinated in chilli and brought a salty sourness to our palates. I began with the hummus and htipi which is a feta cheese, pepper and chilli dish. These I had with the flatbread rather than the crudites. They were both robust in flavour and fresh and tangy to begin my meal.



I was then torn between the tiropitakia which is a cheesy pastry dish and the falafel, but the falafel won over as it also came with the crisp, fresh and tangy tzatziki. The third part of my meal, whilst tempted by the chips, was the buttery herby new potatoes. The dishes were cooked perfectly and my falafel was full to the brim with herbs and spices to such a degree that the filling was green. They were crisp on the outside and fluffy and nutty on the inside.



I also took a gratuitous photo of one of the meat skewers and will perhaps go for the halloumi skewer next time, as I am sure to return for this great value lunch offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment