Tuesday 18 March 2014

Cramond Falls Cafe, Edinburgh

So it was that feeling on Sunday morning. The one you get when it’s the last day of the holiday and you are waiting to board the train, plane or automobile to take you back to whence you came from. Of course, this sense is usually compounded by some haziness and a feeling that I can only describe as full of ‘whys’ (why did I mix my drinks?; why did I have whiskey?; why did I have that one last glass of wine?) from the celebrations/commiserations of the last eve of your jaunt. So, it was with this sentiment we all awoke in need of something, anything to help bolster the ensuing repatriation. This came in the form off eggs, salmon, bacon and breads (creatively described as "artisinal" by MacK the host husband), which all the girls except I partook in.
 
It was then whist we were out taking in the breezy, blustery, beach at Cramond Island that we stopped for some light refreshment for ‘the girls’ and some (not so) light lunch for me. We found our way to a bijous little glass fronted café which promised a real log fire. I was freezing the whole time I was in Edinburgh, but clearly the locals thought they were having a warm day as there was no fire; however the smell of the logs was still inviting and comforting. The Cafe consisted of a handful of indoor tables and some outdoors, which were amazingly, occupied!? The Scots clearly have a strong constitution.

 
My friends opted for teas, coffees and hot chocolates, some with brownies and scones (others chose to take these away) and I had the beautifully sweet, tangy and rich tomato and basil soup with a simple cheese and onion toasties. A soup and a sarnie is a classic British winter lunch and Cramond Falls Cafe delivered a strong combo contender for the crown of meals of this ilk
 

 
 
When relaying to my friends that the soup tasted familiar (it did, similar to a good one I have had elsewhere), my voice clearly carried as the waitress promptly piped up that it was home made on the premises. Excellent, as it should be! It was just what I needed after feeling the cold all morning.
This little tea shop is a wonderful hidden gem and sold various local produce of jams, jellies and sauces to take away as a treat. I was however fully satiated and left with a warm glow in my belly and the cold wind-induced headache calmed. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in this picturesque part of town this eclectic little café is very much worth a visit.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment