Sunday 10 November 2013

Welsh rarebit

It's the weekend again and that's when I can eat one of my favourite all time meals - brunch! Gipsy Spread and I are off to spend the weekend with Mother in law Spread for her birthday. I have bought some lovely gifts including some surprisingly flavoured hand made chocolates from Borough market, but I also made her some of my now perfected macarons filled with her very own apricot jam.


I had used egg whites for the macarons and we are going out for dinner tonight at the Old Drum in Petersfield, so I made us some welsh rarebit inspired brunch with the leftover egg yolks!


What you will need
2 eggs yolks(or 1 egg)
Four slices of bread
80g mature cheddar cheese
2 table spoons creme fraiche
1 tea spoon english mustard
Fresh chives
Marmite (optional)


Firstly, mix together the egg yolks with the grated cheddar, creme fraiche, mustard, chopped chives and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside and toast the bread lightly on both sides. When toasted, spread with a layer of butter, them marmite. If you really are not sure, try one slice with marmite and one without?


Quarter the egg and cheese filling and smother over the marmite.




Spread the topping to the edges of the bread and place back under a medium grill until the egg has cooked and the cheese has melted and browned. Serve immediately with either some real or fake bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment