Saturday 16 November 2013

Cantina Vinopolis

Gipsy Spread got membership to the Design Museum as a birthday present this year. Presumably to help inspire his interior design creations. So, we were going to be along the river tonight at the members viewing of the 'My Name is Paul Smith' exhibition. I have also booked a lunch table to go to Cantina Vinopolis with friends next weekend, so I thought, why not also try it out tonight. This way Gipsy Spread also doesn't miss out.


I had made my reservation through toptable and opted for the bargain option of two courses from the set menu for £15.


We arrived and the small Cantina was already heaving with tables and filled up whilst we were dine. I would suggest booking ahead at the weekend.


I reviewed the menu and found there were a couple of vegetarian options for both the starter and the main courses. The starterts were either a tomato soup, or the burrata mozarella salad. I really fancied the salad, so off I went with the vegetables (well salad really) and cheese combination. Gipsy spread went for the calamari which was meant to have chilli in it or with it, but did not seem to materialise, neither in view or flavour.


My burrata mozarella salad was very simple, but the mozzarella was beautifully soft and light and complemented well by the peppery rocket and sweet balsamic glaze. I followed my starter with another cheese salad (the other vegetarian option had been a tagliatelle). This time, it was beautifully fresh beetroot and goats cheese in a nutty crumb. Again, this classiccombination was wonderful with the sweet earthiness of the beetroot offset by the salty and nutty goats cheese. My chosen dishes were simple and let the quality of the ingredients (primarily the cheeses) do the speaking for them. I was therefore happy with my meal.



Gipsy Spread had wanted the pork, but this was not available, so he decided on the duck. When this came, he realised he had not ordered a side of vegetables, so worth keeping this in mind. He also felt that the sauce could have been richer and deeper in flavour to cut through the fatty duck. Without this and any green vegetables, he had found the duck disappointing.



Regardless, I am looking forward to lunch again next week and plan to sample the other vegetarian options if the menu has not changed. I think Gipsy Spread would give it another go and perhaps pick differently next time. This


The wine, of course was also fabulous. We had chosen the  Prosecco superiore Conegliano “Bepindeto" to go with our dinner. It came in a wonderful ridged green bottle and is described as "[a} pale straw-yellow sparkling wine with hints of emerald, compellingly luminous, with a near-endless bead of the tiniest bubbles. A delicate note of fresh-baked bread is the first to emerge, followed by apple, pear and peach, alongside refined impressions of rose petals and acacia blossoms. In the mouth it is fresh and full-flavoured, with an appealing acidity on the finish. Eminently drinkable".


With the wine at the same price as both our meals, this was definitely good value; albeit with some of the food needing to have more kick. It is therefore definitely worth visiting on the 2 courses for £15 offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment