Sunday 24 November 2013

Cantina Vinopolis mk II

I visited Cantina Vinopolis again yesterday. It was for the lunch set menu again for the bargain price of £15. The good news was that the menu had changed and was different. The even better news was that everyone really enjoyed their meals. The restaurant was heaving again and we drank a very nice Italian Merlot with lunch.



There was no simple salad for me on this occassion and the vegetarian dishes showed a bit more technique. I started with the goats cheese tart, whilst my old University pal opted for the chorizo stew. Both were plentiful and mine was delicious. It was the same crumbed goats cheese as last time, with caramelised onions and a pastry base.


My main course was the wild mushroom gnocchi. This came out and looked like perfect new potatoes lightly dressed in a creamy sauce with wild mushrooms. I do enjoy seeing ingredients on my plate which I may also have seen in the market en route. The gnocchi was beautifully fluffy and light and contained a lovely surprise filling of mushrooms as well. Other dishes included the seafood pasta and the braised shin of beed. My friends both thoroughly enjoyed their meals and I received a well deserved pat on the back for my choice of menu and the great value of the meal.

 


One of my friends chose dessert in place of a starter. She decided on the dark chocolate tart, which was large and rich enough for us all to get stuck in. The shared dessert rounded off a good lunch. I am glad to say, the experience second time around outweighed the first and it's just a shame Gipsy Spread wasn't there on this occasion.



No comments:

Post a Comment