Thursday 28 November 2013

Italian style vegetarian sausage and cabbage stew

Its cold outside and as of tomorrow I have just over a week until I'm attending a friend's 40th birthday masquerade party. I want to eat something hearty to fortify myself from the elements; but, I also need to fit into the brand new sequin dress I have bought which I will be teaming with my gold sequin peep toe heels with mask avec feather plumes... Anyway, the point is - I needed something comforting, but low in carb. and fat for dinner tonight.


What you will need
1 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
4-6 quorn (or other vegetarian) sausages
1/2 a cabbage (any will do, I used a green cabbage)
150ml white wine
500ml vegetable stock
300ml water
1 table spoon tomato puree
2 bay leaves
1 tin butter beans
Paprika


Firstly, place the quorn sausages under the grill to brown.


Meanwhile, slice the onions and garlic and soften in a table spoon of oil for 5 minutes. Slice the 1/2 of cabbage thinly  (removing the hard centre) and add to the pan with the softened onion and garlic.


Next, pour over the wine and cook off for a couple of minutes before topping up with the vegetable stock and 200ml more of water. Season with plenty of salt and pepper and stir in the tomato puree, bay leaves and the drained tin of butter beans. Bring to the boil.


When the sausages have browned, slice each into four slices at an angle and add to the pot with the vegetables.



Cover the pan and leave to cook on a low heat for 20-25 minutes until the cabbage has cooked through.


Serve in a bowl topped with grated parmesan and a sprinkling of paprika.


No comments:

Post a Comment