Tuesday 1 October 2013

Spicy hasselback sweet potatoes

I love sweet potatoes in place of the usual white potatoes. Their flavour also works really well topped with spices and chilli. I found this recipe for sweet potatoes on the Good Food website. It used chipotle paste instead of the chilli spices I'm using, but I didn't have any, so I have adapted this receipe.  I like to call these hedgehog potatoes for obvious reasons.

They are also much healthier, as they have a lower GI than white potatoes. I'll be in swimwear again in two weeks in Borneo. Remember all those macarons I've been baking!


What you will need
4 sweet potatoes
2 table spoon olive oil
1 tea spoon paprika
1 tea spoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tea spoon of dried chilli flakes
Zest and juice 1 lime
Fresh coriander
 

Heat the oven to 180C. Take a small slice out of the potatoes across their middle at an angle and about three-quarters of the way through. These should be at regular intervals. Brush them with ½ table spoon of the olive oil and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins. What you see below is papa, mama and baba sweet potato.

 
Seperately, mix together the rest of the oil, the spices, lime zest and juice.
 
After 40 minutes, remove the potatoes from the oven and brush all over, and down into the slits, with the spicy lime mix. Return them to the oven for another 15-20 mins or until cooked through.

 
 
I served these with a fragrant and tangy sweetcorn succotash and some deliciously salty feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment