Sunday 13 October 2013

Auberge du Lac

It was in 2011 that we stayed at Brocket Hall over a long weekend and partook in some (my first in fact) Michelin star dining. This was in Auberge du Lac set in the hunting lodge of the hall, with fantastic views of the grounds and lake. It received it's Michellin star in 2009.

As is to be expected, we dressed for dinner. I believe Gipsy Spread had to wear a jacket. Upon arrival we received canapes. The beauty of these was that I was served my very own set of vegetarian canapes and Gipsy Spread did not miss out on his fishy and meaty one. The meal was off to a good start.


My starter was a goats cheese salad with micro herbs. Yes the photo is slightly blurry, however it was not possible for me to go back to 2011 for a re-do. I suspect it was most likely a tad embarrasing papping the food in a Michelin star environment at the time, hence the photo below. I do though recall the salad being fresh, delicate and vibrant.

Now for the main course. I was somewhat disappointed on reading the menu that the main dish offering for me was the baby spring vegetable risotto. As you will be aware, risotto as the only choice for vegetarians on a menu is my pet hate. I don't want to pay £15 plus for a bowl of rice! Also, I was expecting something more from this Michelin starred meal. Regardless, I had to go with it. So, I am glad to report that the risotto was delicious. It was perfectly creamy and baby spring vegetables had been cooked in a wonderfully rich vegetable and wine stock and the herb pesto lifted the whole dish. Gipsy spread opted for the duck with spinach and fondant potatoes.
 
 
Dessert was a lemon tart for me and an apple pie for Gipsy Spread. These were sweet and crisp, with both types of pastry being lovely and light. Dessert was also accompanied by the sweet little petit fours below which included fruit jellies and mini battenburg. The perfect pairing with our after dinner coffee.


 
 
I have not been back to Auberge du Lac since our stay in 2011, so it is unknown to me and also seems a shame that it recently lost it's Michelin star.

No comments:

Post a Comment