Tuesday 8 October 2013

Cauliflower, apple and butterbean salad

October is here, it brings with it sweetcorn, pumpkin and a bounty of Cox's apples in our household from mother in law Spread. So far, I have been taking them to work - 'an apple a day...' and all that and also trying to use them in my dinners.

Further, there is another holiday countdown with the fresh foods in the house needing to be eaten by Monday when we fly off to Borneo; what with kick starting our holiday with a lovely afternoon dim sum champagne tea (watch this space) scheduled at Crazy Bear for Saturday afternoon.
'Many birds and one stone' meant a healthy nutritious lunch with beans, cauliflower and apple in a tangy yoghurt dressing with harissa for spice to use up my fresh ingredients.

What you will need
1 head of cauliflower
2 table spoons olive oil
1 table spoon paprika
Half a head of lettuce/or a bag of mixed leaves
1 tin of butterbeans
2 Cox's apples
1 table spoon crushed walnuts
Fresh chives
Fresh mint
 
For the dressing
3-4 table spoons of plain yoghurt
1-2 tea spoons of harissa
 

Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Break the cauliflower into florets, drizzle with the oil and toss the paprika through. Season with salt and spread out in a roasting tin and roast for 40-45 mins until just tender.
 
Shred the lettuce and drain the tin of butter beans. Core the apples and slice the flesh into matchsticks.
 

When the cauliflower is cooked. Allow it to cool before piling up the lettuce, topping with the beans, cauliflower, walnuts and apples. I add a squeeze of lemon juice to the apple to stop it colouring. Top with the chopped fresh herbs and place the yoghurt (I used low fat) in the centre. Put the harissa into the centre of the yoghurt. Toss the lot together with some salad tongs and season with a bit more salt if necessary. Then serve.
 
 
Another delicious low carb lunch for me. It has been my favourite winter warmer dahl for the last couple of days. I will be back before I head to Borneo, but there will also be plenty from my travels to report here I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment