Sunday 27 April 2014

The Refinery, Southwark, London

The torrent of leaving parties in celebration/commiseration of my Manager's leaving the Department continued this Friday. The locale of choice was the Refinery, around the corner from the office. We had scoped out the eclectic glass fronted venue the week before over drinks and came back for a late boozy lunch. We already knew that there was a fabulous 'reef and turf' on offer for those that way inclined, at the bargain price of £15 with a glass of prosecco.  The menu also had a suitable selection of vegetarian options for me.



My colleague and I arrived first and awaited the arrival of the others. It was 2pm, but we were astounded by how busy the place was. It was heaving and still full to the rafters from lunchtime. It was lucky we had booked a table for our party of eight. The hostess and the waitress were great, taking our drinks orders and partaking in banter with us about our colleagues tardiness (they are renound for it).


When the whole group was finally in attendance, the wine flowed and we managed to make our orders. Four of the table had the above 'reef and turf' of half a lobster and 4oz steak with chips.
Two others who can never resist the fish and chips when it is on offer, just had to have that. Whilst myself and the week before's birthday boy opted for the halloumi burger, obviously with a side of chips.


It all came beautifully presented and was large, but just large enough. The surf andturfers had been concerned that the plate might have been a little light, but they were proved wrong. Whilst we were waiting for our meals, we were also pleasantly surprised to be offered a taste of their new winter Pimms. Yes please, we'll come here again!


The other excellent thing, as I like to have an opinion of the toilets (visit Crazy Bear) was the ladies bathroom. Not only was it tiled in my favourite colour of green it edgily chic with ornate mirrors and some vintage scales ith sweets in. Suffice to say I didn't sample a sweet, not being able to get my mind around eating something thats stored in the toilets. Anyway, these are also well worth a visit.
 

 
So, we paid the bill and I made a reservation for us to come back next Wednesday for the culmination of the torrent in a finale leaving party. I had veen proffered a VIP (yep, that's me) invitation to a party to sample their new menu alongside a glass of prosecco. The Refinery is most definitely seeing me again and comes highly recommended from the decor, the food and the service.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment