Friday 31 January 2014

Za' atar spiced cauliflower steak

Its not very often that I get to have a steak. However, this is exactly what I had for dinner last night. I had a very satisfying and hearty dinner which I could not imagine to have come in at much more than 150 kcals on my ‘2’ day of the 5:2. So, what was this steak? It was a griddled cauliflower steak that had bite and was full of flavour from the addition of the now very readily used za’atar that Sister in law Spread bought me for Christmas. I served this alongside some robust roasted beetroot and onions as well as green beans steamed to al dente perfection. For my sauce/gravy, I opted for some low fat yogurt with garlic and coriander. Trust me, I was full at the end of the meal, and that was after an hour of hot yoga!


What you will need
1 head of cauliflower
2 tea spoons za’atar
1 tea spoon olive oil
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 clove garlic
Fresh coriander


Firstly prepare the cauliflower by removing the head from the leaves. Next, slice down the middle vertically, and then repeat two more times at about 1.5-2 cms widths. This should give you two cauliflower steaks. Reserve the rest for another meal and set the cauliflower steaks down.


Next, add the za’atar to the oil and stir together with some salt. Using a brush coat each side of the cauliflower with the spiced oil.


Place a griddle pan on to heat and when hot, place the steaks flat side down. Cook each side of the steak for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through the tickest bit, the stem.
Meanwhile, mix together the fresh yoghurt with the crushed garlic clove, some seasoning and freshly chopped coriander.

Serve the steak with the yogurt and other side dishes of your choosing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment