Saturday 4 January 2014

Butterbean and mozzarella bake (5:2 diet)

The vain January attempt at reserved eating after the excesses of the Christmas period has led me to consider the 5:2 diet. At this point it is still a consideration, and I am just eating lighter meals. It did however get me thinking that I most likely did eat less than 500 calories twice a week when I was a single gal, out on the Town, skipping meals in favour of fun. The concept also seems fairly sound to me. This is not complete starvation nor calorie counting at every meal. The idea is that the body goes into 'repair mode' on the two days you eat less than 500 calories forcing the body to restore damaged cells, which in turn burns more calories. The rest of the time, eat what you like (in moderation of course).


This all sounds good to me, especially when you throw in the apparant associated health benefits of longer life spans and prevention against mental disorders such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons. It was with this in mind, I went about 'calorie counting' my lunch to see if it would work on such a diet. Watch this space for more suggestions of how to make meals for '500-cal. days'.


What you will need (to serve 2)
1 tin of butterbeans
1 tin/packet of chopped tomatoes
75ml red wine
1 ball mozzarella
1 table spoon of seeds
1 tea spoon paprika
1 tea spoon ground cumin
1/2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Fresh lemon thyme


Firstly, drain the tin of tomatoes and add to a non stick pan with the drained tin of butter beans and the glass of wine. Season well with salt and pepper and add in each of the spices, the seeds and the juice of the lemon. Reduce the sauce for 5-10 minutes to bring the flavours together.

Next, place the beans in either a single casserole dish or split between two individual dishes.


Slice the mozzarella ball into six slices and top the casserole.


Add the fresh sprigs of lemon thyme and bake in the oven at 200 degree for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and the mozzarella has melted and browned.

The dish can be served with some crusty bread, but is also a meal in itself and from my calculations based on the ingredients, comes in at approximately 350 calories. The seeds and wine can be ommited to bring it in at 300 calories if desired. 


As I say, I'm still considering whether I attempt to live off 500 calories two days a week, but whilst I'm deciding, it is good to know that I am still eating low calorie, low fat, delicious and nutricious meals in the come down from Christmas. I found the Marie Claire article on the diet really elicidating in terms of helping to identify easy foods to fit into the diet. You can, for example, work out what a meal of 10 asparagus stalks (in dinner) with a poached egg and slice of ham (in breakfast) might add up to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment