Friday 10 May 2013

Raw and vegan: delicious and nutricious

This might seem a little bit random, although I believe this type of cuisine has been utilised quite widely and for some time in the US, but Gipsy Spread and I went for our first raw food vegan meal last night. What tempted us? Well, it was the menu, which sounded delicious (I know I’m a vegetarian, but Gipsy Spread isn’t) and also the novelty aspect of it.
 
Saf is a restaurant, as you might expect, located on a very righteous site – the Wholefoods market on High Street Kensington. It is in fact not the only location, as there is another outpost in Shoreditch (not so righteous a location), as well as in Istanbul. What does raw food mean you ask? Isn’t crudités and hummus raw food? Indeed it is. However, the raw food ethos of Saf and I believe of others of it’s ilk is that ingredeinets are not heated above 48 degrees, with a range of processes used to create a variety of textures and tastes from everyday ingredients of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and pulses.
 
Before we went, Gipsy Spread and I did our research. We checked out the menu online to start tantalising our taste buds, and picked out the options we might wish to go for out of the three courses. It was actually very difficult to choose, having no prior experience (other than the steaming hot, non vegan versions) of the menu. It was in this vein that I chose options that I could compare to the more traditional versions of the dishes.
 
 
Gipsy spread and I therefore went for:
 
Raw taco trio
Hand cut raw potato and courgette tacos served with freshly made guacamole, tomato salsa and sour ‘cream’
 
Spinach and sorrel gyoza
Grilled rice pastry dumplings filled with spinach, sorrel and courgettes served with a tamari-sesame vinaigrette

  
Lasagne Verde
Layers of courgette, marinated spinach, walnut almond and sun-dried tomato bolognese and a cashew and yellow pepper béchamel sauce served with a green herb pesto and side salad



 
 
Crepe with grilled asparagus
Grilled asparagus and courgettes served in a chickpea crêpe, with lemon-tarragon aioli and side salad



 
Victoria sponge trifle
 



Chocolate cheesecake

 
So, would I go again? I think I might, if I was in the area, but perhaps not make a special trip as I did last night. The gyoza's were delicious, although, they didn't seem any different to normal (perhaps steamed at a lower temperature for longer?). The lasagne was really tasty and tangy with a nutty pesto and sundried tomatoes, but I missed the pasta. Gipsy spread likes to make his own, which is particularly good. The chickpea crepe was also nice. I do make this delicacy (socca) from the south of France myself, gram flour being an Indian store cupboard staple; although I tend to treat like a pizza base and therefore pile high with cheese - which I did miss on this occassion.
 
The desserts were surprisingly light and sweet and more akin to their traditional predecessors. The chocolate cheesecake was apparently made with tofu and soya milk, but was rich and creamy. The trifle could have done with some sherry, but the sponge was soft and delicate.
 
If you want a taste of the unusual, take a look at www.safrestaurant.co.uk
 
What next for me, well, I shall be fine dining tomorrow night at Seraser (http://www.seraserrestaurant.com/) for my birthday. I look forward to updating you on the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment