Thursday 2 May 2013

The best street food in London Town

For the first time since starting this blog, I visited one of my favourite fast food places in London Town. Not only is the food, fast, delicious and nutritious, but at £3 a pop, it’s a steal.
 
The fast food place is one of many food stalls in Tachenbrook Street market at Pimlico, where on a daily basis; you can feast all around the world. There are street food stalls catering Thai, Mexican, Japanese and Caribbean food, as well the obligatory hog roast and organic wild boar burgers.
 
The one that my friends ‘Alice’, the ‘Cat’, the ‘Mad Hatter’ and I like to visit at least once every couple of weeks is the falafel wrap stand. At a 10 minute walk from our office, the food is a glorious lunch time delight – much better than anything Pret can throw at us. You can normally identify which stall it is by the length of the queue, usually the longest in the market.
 
On the cold winter lunchtimes, you will often be handed a steaming hot falafel straight from the fryer whilst you are queuing for your wrap – which is always very fast in coming. The service is consistently with a smile and a joke. I amaze at the speed at which the four guys in the tiny little tent mix the batter, fry and roll!
 
You can tailor the fillings of your wrap if you wish – I tend to go all in with the various salad options and pickles. This includes roasted cauliflower, gherkins, fried potatoes and pickled cabbage, which gives the wrap an audacious vibrancy and colour, as well as providing a range of textures. I tend to ask for extra chilli sauce with the generous portion of this and hummus already in the wrap.





As a vegetarian, I am going to be biased in liking falafel, but I have eaten falafel in many places around the world, Egypt, Morocco etc, as well as making my own and I think these falafel wraps are the best I have had. They are most definitely the best falafel wraps in London Town. In fact, another colleague who is a meat fiend has now been converted and heads straight for the falafel option rather than the other carnivorous offerings in the market.
 
I’d recommend hunting out the market if you are in London for lunch – a more superb meal at a better price cannot be found in this great City of ours!
 
So, next week, I'm off for my first taste of raw food vegan fare at Saf. Photos of the food and my thoughts will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment