Tuesday 19 April 2016

Kishmish, Crystal Palace, London

Having lived in the amazing Crystal Palace for the last 6 years, I have no explanation as to why Gipsy Spread and myself had not visited the tiny little hole in the wall called Kishmish. This all changed after several times of pointing out the large banner for the restaurant's outpost, visible when walking down the adjacent road, we sought out its entrance. It felt a little bit like the 'room of requirement' from Harry Potter; never having been in its location before, suddenly materialising when we needed it. Upon seeing it once, we can now always seek out the neon lights that advertise its presence, but belie what lies within.


The entrance leads down a very narrow staircase (parents will need to carry down buggies) and opens up into a large open space, decorated in traditional Persian style (I assume) with wooden cladding and exotic rugs.


We had made a reservation, but at lunchtime on a Saturday the restaurant was amazingly quiet. It may perhaps get busier during the evenings. Gipsy Spread and I had decided to take Father in law Toast
for his birthday lunch and as its a BYO, brought our own wine selection.


There was a warm and friendly welcome from the staff. We were seated quickly and space made for the buggy (yes - we have a baby now!). The extensive menus were then proffered.


As we were all starving, we ordered our starters from the large list of cold and hot mezze style dishes and perused the mains for a little while longer. There were some extremely unusual flavour combinations that we had not come across before that we all felt compelled to try.


The six of us had a variety of starters, including the houmus, olives and halloumi plate (a lot for just £5) and the best falafel I think I have ever had. We were recommended a single naan bread to accompany our starters as they were large. The waitress was not wrong. I was also further excited by the naan bread having opted for this to accompany my main rather than the rice.



My main was the beans with dried limes. A combination I had not had before and which I'll very much look forward to sampling again. The stew was fragrant and tangy. I'd highly recommend trying this dish, although, I will be working my way through the other dishes (60+) on the menu before returning to it. If there are two of you, I'd also suggest one of you ordering rice and the other the naan, as you can then share both, which come in large quantity.


The good news is that Kishmish also does take away and delivers. So, whilst I already have plans to visit in a couple of weeks for my birthday lunch, with a much larger gaggle of people, I know I will have to fight the temptation to order a takeaway between now and then.


It also has a bargain lunch set menu which starts at £6. As a BYO, a better value meal cannot be found along the Crystal Palace triangle. Three courses for the 6 of us, with corkage for two bottle of wine came in at under £100. I'm very much looking forward to my return to this restaurant of requirement.

1 comment:

  1. Kishmish is great, had many delivery meals, I wonder what rice brand they are using, their rice is fantastic and beautifully cooked, and also they have great olives, I would like to know where they are sourcing them from. Their meat quality is just superb. The chef certainly knows what they are doing. A great restaurant.

    ReplyDelete