Monday 26 May 2014

The Bombay Club, New Orleans

When I read about the Bombay Club as the restaurant, bar, jazz venue to visit whilst in New Orleans I was a tad confused by the name. I had thought it might have some reference to India or Indian food, but no. We had made a reservation here for the final night in New Orleans, hoping to soak up as much of the City as possible before our departure. We came for the nouveau Creole cuisine, the best martinis in Town and the jazz. Upon entering the romantic candlit venue, all became aparant. The venue is set up like a British Gentleman's Club with plush leather chairs, wood panelling and portraits. The Bombay reference, surely must come from the gin?
 
 

We arrived 10 minutes early for our reservation and whilst waiting for our table to be set, were seated at the bar. I of course, promptly ordered their famous martini. It was good. I was glad that we had booked as the restaurant was heaving, as was the private courtyard. There was live jazz being performaed in the corner and the atmosphere was fizzing with a cool 1930s decadence.
 
The eclectic menu is true to its Southern roots, but takes influences from elsewhere to create a fusion of flavours. What was I going to have? Well, it turned out it was going to have to be the baby spinach and goat cheese stuffed tomato served with wild mushroom risotto and white truffle oil. I was of course dubious about the risotto, but weathered it as it was really only the accompaniment to the stuffed tomato. Gipsy Spread chose the appetizer portion of the moules frites, which were Prince Edward Island mussels sauteed with bacon, garlic, thyme and cream topped with pommes frites. We decided to share some wilted spinach with garlic.
 

 

It all came wonderfully presented. When I cut into my tomato, the combination of garlicy and spicy spinach and goats cheese worked perfectly with the meaty tomato. What really took me by surprise was the risotto. The depth of flavour in the rice was beyond my expectations (we all know how I feel about risottos!). It was actually robust in its flavours, I suspect through the addition of the creole spices of various peppers. It was also fresh and fragrent, perhaps with citrus? All in all, it was the best risotto I have ever had. Upon hearing my delight as opposed to disdain of this dish,  Gipsy Spread had a taste and concurred that it really was delicious. My taste buds had not been impaired by the two martinis I had had!


Gispy Spread also loved his meal. The mussels were big and bold with the flavours of bacon and garlic. His frites were uber crisp, crunchy and delectable. The service was impeccable, the waitrose having confirmed with the chef that my meal was vegetarian. With the back drop of the live jazz, our final night in New Orleans ended gracefully and elegantly. We had one final cocktail in the beautifully lit courtyard, complete with water fountain.


This hidden gem is an oasis away from the bustle and crowds of Bourbon Street. It has the facility to entertain for an entire evening with pre dinner cocktails, fabulous food with jazz accompaniment and then the obligatory digestiv in the courtyard. It has a laid back, cool atmosphere that sings to the same beat as the great City itself. Don't leave New Orleans without visiting, even if just for the Martinis, voted the best in New Orleans nine times.


No comments:

Post a Comment