Friday 14 June 2013

One of the most versatile store cupboard ingredients


Well, I said I'd get round to my five favourite pulses next and just as it happens, today was the day.

I opened up my fridge earlier to start thinking about dinner. I found that there was not much in there (which I did kind of already know), other than a couple of aubergines, several types of cheese (of course!), yoghurt, cucmber and tomatos. The easy option here would have been to go in for the melanzane parmiagana, but I fancied something different, making use of all my fresh ingredients (I hate vegetables going off - it's such a waste). I have a cupboard full of spices and another full of flours, vinegars and syrups, so inspiration struck.

So what did I do and what will you need?

Aubergine fritters
1 aubergine
Salt
2 tablespoons of gram flour (chickpea flour)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon of amchur(mango powder) or dried pomegranite
Chopped fresh coriander and chopped green chillis to taste (and optional)

I sliced my aubergine into 1/2 cm thick rounds (about 15-20) and salted and left at room temperature to sweat (this was to prevent it being rubbery). In another bowl I added two heaped tablespoons of gram flour, the salt, all the spices and the coriander and chillis. I added water, a little bit at a time to turn the flour and spices into a medium-thick batter, then tossed the aubergine through this. You might need to get your hands dirty to ensure the aubergine is covered.

Once this is done, fry the aubergine in oil for a couple of minutes on each side until soft on the inside and delightfully crispy and brown on the outside. I did this in the frying pan with the oil about half a centimetre deep.



I'll be serving the aubergine with a cucumber raita and tomato salsa, along with a side of herb salad (we are currently growing greek basil, oregano, mint (and peppermint) and parsley - along with thyme, lemon thyme, sage, rosemary and coriander - which also need using up!). I could happily have served up the above with some crumbled salty greek feta and luminous pearls of pomegranite with the raita, sans cucumber.


Cucumber raita
Slice and chop quarter of a cucumber. Add to a bowl with a heaped tablespoon of yoghurt, salt, a splash of lemon juice and a a clove of crushed garlic. Mix together and top with half a teaspoon of cround cumin.

Tomato salsa
Slice and chop either a couple of normal tomatoes or a large handful of cherry tomatoes and add to a bowl with a finely chopped half an onion, salt and half a teaspoon of chilli flakes. I added fresh chives to mine (yes, I forgot if from the above list of herbs we are in the process of using up!).


So,there you go. An ideal (pulse) store cupboard ingredient that is high in protein, low in fat and GI and which can be quickly used in the following ways;
  • Mix the flour with water (spices optional) to create an alternative to savoury pancakes for stuffing with your favourite filling (i.e instead of pasta for a ricotta and spinach cannelloni). The more water you add, the lighter the pancake.
  • As a binder for your veggie (and why not meat?) burgers, fritters or patties instead of egg or normal flour?
  • In Indian cooking to function as the pancake in a masala dosa (instead of the very laborious rice pancake) and as the sundrie bread alternative instead of a chapati or nan.
  • Like the french do with their socca, as a base for other ingredients and instead of a bready pizza base.

Well, I hope that's provided food for thought. I will be off for some of the best food I get to eat tomorrow at my mum's and gran's. Gipsy Spread is usually like a pig in whoopsy and wants to try all the authentic food we eat at home, and he's lucky my feeder nature comes from my family. I'll be bringing some of the best home cooked Indian food recipes here to ensure they are not lost forever in later posts. They will, I hope, include how to use gram flour to make a 'soup' called kadhi and also the steamed breakfast snack dokhla, just like my gran makes. I have yet to perfect these myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment